I've been looking through the Call of Cthulhu survey data.
The following fault lines are developing in the data - we have over 450 responses now.
- A number make reference to system in language developed at the Forge. Others beg that we don't do create something informed by the Forge.
- We have the Pulp vs Anti-Pulp lobby
- There are the SAN death spiral supporters vs those who support greater mental stability for characters
- There are those who think that non-canon play is because of bad players or GMs, and those who think it's a system problem
- Some dislike non-Lovecraft Mythos, vs those who do like it.
- A group are fed up with bashing evil cultists, others love the smell of flamethrower before breakfast.
- Lots of Germans play CoC.
- Most people value simplicity in a rule set much more than anything else.
- 20% said Masks of Nyarlathotep was their favourite adventure, 10% Mountains of Madness.
- Even those who supported pulp gaming didn't want the characters overpowered.
One comment however stands out:
"Every game I run ends up being CoC in the end."
That is a GM I would like to play with.